How To Meditate #1

Welcome to my series of posts to help you meditate easily and quickly on your own. This is the first post, I hope you find it useful.

First, I’d like to clear up some myths that I thought were true before I started learning about meditation, all those years ago…

1. The aim is not to clear or empty your mind. This is impossible. We are human beings with active minds that are constantly processing information – 24 hours a day.

2. You do not need any props. Relaxing music, essential oils, crystals, a special room, fresh flowers etc are all lovely, and any one of them is a bonus, but they are not necessary.

3. Anyone can ‘do’ it. Absolutely anyone. You are simply, gently retraining your mind.

4. You do not need to spend hours meditating. Ten minutes every day will be beneficial to you.

5. Your experience is your experience. There are no right or wrongs.

meditate

Ok, I hope that has helped.

I now want to start with something every one of us has, with us, 24 hours a day – our breath. This is the easiest form of meditation, but don’t under estimate its power.

You may find this easier in privacy, where you know you won’t be disturbed, especially if you are just starting off. Turn of your phone / TV and just sit comfortably.

Bring your awareness to your breathing – just be aware of your breath entering and leaving your body. For now, do not try and alter your breathing. Just be aware of it.

If your mind wanders (and it will) gently bring it back to your breathing.

If thoughts persist in popping into your head, just acknowledge the thought, literally as in ‘ok, i hear you’ then let it go from your mind again. Bring your awareness back to your breathing.

It may help to actually ‘feel’ each breath in and out. Feel it on your lips, or nostrils, feel it entering your body, then feel it leaving your mouth or nose.

Aim for ten minutes of this breathing.

Please be aware, when you are sat, with just yourself and your thoughts, sometimes it may feel uncomfortable. Painful even. Please know that this is usual, and it will pass. Sit with it. Acknowledge it and let it go. You may feel a wave of emotions, or even tears welling up. Let them go – it is a much needed release for you, and will pass.

We rarely stop and sit and do ‘nothing’. Just be. Just focus on your breath. See how you get on, I would love to hear from you.

Kaz x

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

The List
Binky Linky
Post Comment Love

1. Sian

Great post, I really want to start meditating. I did it during ante natal yoga and found it very calming.

2. Cardiff Mummy Says

Ah, I didn’t know until now that you meditate. I’m a yoga teacher and I can’t imagine my life without knowing how to meditate and properly relax. Really helps when you are a parent! #brilliantblogposts

3. Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk)

Does daycreaming count as meditating? I am doing daydreaming everyday to get me thorugh the day and it helps cure my sadness too. #sharewithme

4. hannah

Oh I love this!!!! I’ve just signed up to a meditation class which starts in March. I can’t wait, so this post will be great to follow :) #binkylinky

5. Ali ( Mum in a Nutshell)

great simple steps, I think I can manage that! thanks for sharing #binkylinky

6. Nicki - ON THE CHANGING MAT

Hi! Found your post through #TheList linky – a lovely post and will be following your series on meditation as it’s something I’m interested in doing. Have a great weekend. Nicki x

7. Emily

I would love to be able to meditate but if I manage to quiet my mind that long I fall asleep and feel like I’ve failed! x

8. HonestMum

Love this, so inspiring-I adore yoga but haven’t meditated, will do now. Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts x

9. You Baby Me Mummy

Fab post! I have tried before to meditate but I don’t seem to be able to let go enough. Thanks for linking up to #TheList x

10. Verily Victoria Vocalises

I really do think that meditating is such a worthwhile thing to do. This is such a great idea. Thank you for linking to #PoCoLo x

11. Emily

I’ve never tried meditating, but like the sound of it. Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky

12. Tee

GREAT post and thank you for reminding me…BREATHE…#PoCoLo

13. Carol Cameleon

Ah, a lady after my own heart… Meditation is wonderful :) #BrilliantBlogposts

14. Andy

Great steps. Thank you for reminding me of something that I knew but have recently kept forgetting to do. I know exactly what I’ll be doing once kids go to sleep tonight!

15. Jenny

Sounds so relaxing. I never stop and just be. I could really do with doing it more often this year and just being more calm and collected with thoughts and all. Meditating always sounded hard to me because I can’t clear the mind that easily. But sounds amazing. Thanks for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme