St. Dwynwen’s Day

Did you know we have our very own patron saint of lovers here in Wales? She is our equivalent of St Valentine, and we celebrate her day on 25 January. Her name is St. Dwynwen.

The story is that Dwynwen was the prettiest of Welsh king Brychan Brycheiniog’s twenty-four daughters. She fell in love with a man named Maelon Dafodrill, but her father had already arranged for her to marry someone else.

Dwynwen was devastated and prayed to God to ask for help in forgetting Maelon. Whilst Dwynwen slept, an angel visited her and gave her a special potion to wipe her memory of her feelings for Maelon and turn him into a block of ice.

st dwynwen

The dream came true and Dwynwen devoted her life to God, setting up a convent on Llanddwyn, an island off the coast of Anglesey. The remains of the church are still there, along with Dwynwen’s well.

It’s believed the well is home to sacred fish – if they are active when visiting the well, it is supposed to be a sign of a faithful husband.

God offered Dwynwen three wishes. Her first wish was that Maelon be thawed, the second was that God should meet the needs of all lovers and the third that she should never marry.

The well has become a place of pilgrimage for young Welsh lovers since Dwynwen’s death in the 5th century.

Why not celebrate St Dwynwen’s Day with a special visit to one of Wales’ amazing places.

Visit Wales have some great suggestions, from Anglesey to Narberth.

cwtch

25 January is also National Cwtch Day too.

Cwtch (pronounced cutch) is a gorgeous welsh word with no english equivalent. To me it means a squishy hug, a loving cuddle, I cwtch my children all the time! It is used a lot as a name for somewhere that is cosy, comfortable, snuggly!

I hope you have a wonderful cwtchy St Dwynwen’s Day!

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

Binky Linky

1. Cardiff Mummy Says

We love St Dwynwen’s day! So lovely to have an extra lovey day here in Wales – not that we need an excuse to be nice to the people we love, but I love all the stories and heritage that go with it. x

1. Ickle Pickles Mummy (Post author)

It is lovely – good excuse for more cwtches!! x

2. Jenny

What a great day to celebrate. And the hug cutch one too! I haven’t been to Wales but its’ on my list for sure. Heard beautiful things about it. Love all the stories that go with it. Being an American its a place of awe to us!! :) Thanks for linking up to Share With Me. #sharewithme

1. Ickle Pickles Mummy (Post author)

If you ever make it to beautiful Pembrokeshire, please let me know – I would love to meet you! x

3. Amy

I’ve never heard of St Dwynwen’s day and what a lovely story. I have welsh relatives so I’m know what a cwtch is, I’ve been giving my baby them all afternoon.

1. Ickle Pickles Mummy (Post author)

Aawwww enjoy your lovely baby cwtches x x

4. meimei

Aww this is s a lovely post and I love National Cwtch Day too!

Meimei xx

1. Ickle Pickles Mummy (Post author)

Thank you for reading! Happy Cwtch Day too x

5. Hannah

Thats a really nice story. I like to spell cwtch – cootch x

1. Ickle Pickles Mummy (Post author)

Thank you – oh that’s cute! Happy Cootch Day x

6. Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk)

I have heard that word before Cwitch! My mother-in-law is Welsh and she would ask this from my son!

Advance Happy Dwynwens Day =)

#ShareWithMe

1. Ickle Pickles Mummy (Post author)

Aawww how sweet! Happy St Dwynwens Day to you too x x

7. lisa prince

I have never ever heard of this day before but sounds great

1. Ickle Pickles Mummy (Post author)

I am glad you have learned something! Thank you x

8. Gemma

Loved this post, very informative :)

1. Ickle Pickles Mummy (Post author)

Oh thank you :) I wanted to share the story, I am glad you enjoyed x

9. HonestMum

Oh wow what a gorgeous day, we adore Wales here! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts

10. Catriona Stephen

I completely forgot about Dydd Santes Dwynwen! Going to give Osian an extra big cwtch on Sunday xx

11. Emily

I’ve heard of St Dwynwen’s day, but have never really acknowledged before. I do love that cwtch sign! Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky