A Listening Meditation.
A common complaint of trying to meditate is that there is too much noise, or distraction to ‘do it’.
Instead of trying to block out the noise and distractions, try and embrace them instead.
1. Turn off house phone and mobile phone
2. Turn off TV
3. Do not put any music on for this meditation
4. Sit comfortably and take few deep breath to calm and centre yourself.
5. Now, just listen. Start with sounds in the room with you.
6. Be aware of a sound. Don’t try and label or name it. Don’t ‘follow’ it, as in ‘what is that? why is it making that noise?’
7. Acnowledge each sound, then ‘let it go’
8. Expand your listening to outside – near – in the garden / road then further and further away
You will be amazed by what you actually hear! This is another gentle way of retraining your mind to hear, acknowledge, but not get caught up with the sound, its origin or purpose.
Give it a go! Let me know how you get on.