Why I don’t watch the news

I don’t normally watch the news. It is far too depressing.

Today, I caught the headlines.

All of which sent shockwaves of terror through me.

A missing teenage girl, from Bristol, where my eldest daughter is in Uni has been (the police think) found. The first horror is that it is a body they have found. The second horror is that it is body parts that they have found. Wait, what?????? A 16 year old girl. Missing. Body parts found. It is unthinkable what has happened to her. I cried. I am crying now.

Becky Watts sister approached my eldest’s boyfriend and friends in the skate park asking if they had seen her. This is too close for comfort.

11 deaths of babiesĀ and one of a motherĀ could have been prevented due to major failures at almost every level at a UK hospital. I cannot even think about this. I have four children.

I went into hospital for each birth.

Putting my trust and faith in the hands of the hospital and the maternity unit.

As thousands of mums do.

What went wrong? In this day and age, what went wrong?

Child abuse in Oxfordshire – males street grooming young girls. Girls going to the police station in appalling states, dismissed for being trouble.

I fear for my daughters and their innocence and trusting natures.

What is happening to our country?

What have I brought my children into?

Ok, these may be isolated stories,or are they? Every time I do catch the news, there is more of the same.

It terrifies me.

caldey edited

I live with my family in rural West Wales. My eldest has spread her wings. Not far (thank goodness) Bristol is less than 3 hours away. A lovely city. A friendly, safe city. Then I hear this morning’s news.

I phone my daughter. I have to hear her voice. I nearly break down when she answers.

My first born. My baby. Out there in a world of abusers and goodness knows what else.

My other daughter is still safely at home with me. For now.

Until she spreads her wings too.

I cannot worry.

The word is a fascinating, exciting place.

I want my daughters to fly. To see. To enjoy life.

I will stop watching the news.

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

Post Comment Love
Binky Linky

1. Bloggermummylauren

There is a lot of appalling stuff on the news these days, and like you I often feel so horrified watching it and wondering what kind of world I have brought my children in to. But then I have to think about all of the nice, beautiful things happening around the world that don’t make the news. You are probably right just to stop watching it!

2. Erin @ Nourishing My Scholar

I don’t watch the news either. It is far to negative and dreadful. Thank you for sharing :-)

3. Kate

Wow it’s like you took the words right out of my head! This is everything that I’ve been thinking (apart from not having a child in the same area) and the exact same reason that I recently stopped reading the news. I just can’t bear to think about all the terrible things going on in the world knowing I’m bringing 3 children into it!

Fab post, thank you for sharing :)

4. Erica Price

I gave up watching the news years ago – lack of time as much as anything and frustration with things like war, politicians, etc

5. Clare Scott

I think lots of us share your feelings about the news nowadays. As others have pointed out, the many wonderful things that go on in the world often fail to be reported. Thankfully, some of these stories break through via social media and I try to use it is a counterbalance to some of the harrowing content in the mainstream news. Great post, thank you. #PoCoLo

6. Time to be an Adult

I agree, the news is horrifying. But the lovely news is never really reported. You only ever hear the horror stories and the scandal. I think it gives a really unbalanced view of what society is like in general. I tend to focus on local news and just glance through national news.

7. jenny

I know it’s awful that I don’t keep up with current events but I just can’t I am the same as you it terrifies me and leaves me so sad and it’s all depressing news too. I really can’t watch it because I would just be paranoid all the time too from it. People cringe when I say I don’t watch it. Oops. Fab post. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme

8. Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk)

I remember being pregnant and reading so many stories that I became so nervous. My mother took over and prevented me from reading the news from then on. And it worked as I got to concentrate on my pregnancy.

I saw the Becky Watts news and we are keen on always going to Bristol on weekends and this is like happening in my own backyard. Something has to be done to protect our kids.

#pocolo #sharewithme

9. Mummy Fever

I tend not to listen to much either ! #BinkyLinky

10. Laura

I try to stay in touch with the news, but each time I watch, the world we now live in absolutely terrifies me. Rather than the usual children’s programmes for after breakfast, I thought I was doing the right thing by putting the news on so that my 4 year old could start learning about the world. BIG mistake! I turned it almost straight off- the level of violence was awful. I’m quite happy now watching children’s programmes and pretending everyone lives nicely!

11. Elizabeth (Wander Mum)

Sometimes I wish I didn’t have to watch the news. Unfortunately I HAVE to. I work in TV news. Since having my daughter it has got harder. As a mother, your outlook DOES change and I am finding it more and more difficult to be exposed to so much bad news (and it’s particularly bad at the moment) especially with stories surrounding children. I do think it’s important to know what is going on in the world but it can be so depressing and we are so helpless to stop it. But please remember most of the time these ARE isolated incidents and sadly the perpetrators are known to the victims. But it especially hits hard when it’s close by where you live. Of course, bad/ shocking news is reported far more than good, positive stories. Don’t live in fear and trust your children to stay safe… #pocolo

12. Emily

I’ts awful isn’t it. The world didn’t seem bad when it was just me, but now that I’m a mum it’s terrifying. Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky

13. Catriona Stephen

I like to know what’s going on in the world but I can’t bear to watch the news/pick up a newspaper. I feel the same as you, it scares me so much. xx

14. Wave to Mummy

It is horrible… So many desperately sad news stories have touched me recently, the ones you mention and the poor little Ayesha. So desperately sad, and sometimes you just think how can people do this to other people, showing such disregard for another life.

I do watch the news though. I know terrible things happen, me not watching the news doesn’t make me imagine the world is a better place than it really is :( #pocolo

15. Ting at My Travel Monkey

The news is terribly depressing and upsetting at times – especially when these horrific acts take place and when you see war-torn Syria etc and kids struggling to find food. What I always remember though is the majority of people are kind and giving and it’s nice to be reminded of that sometimes… and sometimes human interest stories on the news do just that. #PoCoLo