Big Boys Bed

A lot of you will know that my tot Ickle Pickle has his own blog, and I document his adventures over there. I have a little section there when I want to add my voice to his blog, but sometimes, I want my own space.

I feel this is one of those times.

My Ickle Pickle is, as I type, in his big boys bed, in his own room, for the first time EVER.

It is almost 10pm, he went up at 7pm, Luke read him a story, and with no fuss, or tears, or anything, he went to sleep.

toddler bed, first night in big bed

I sold his cot yesterday, and we dismantled it for collection at 6.45pm tonight.

So, even though his bed and room have been ready since last summer, this has happened quite quickly really – although Pickle is two and a half, and some will think this should have, or could have happened sooner, it is happening now.

That’s one of the fantastic things about being over 40, with my fourth baby. I feel I can do what I want, when I want. I am long past needing or wanting external approval.

Pickle has, for months now, been going to sleep in my bed, then when I went up, I lifted him into his cot, in the corner of my bedroom.

So, tonight is a HUGE change for him. Tonight, his bedtime has been completely different to any other bedtime in his life so far.

I just had to capture how I feel.

I feel – mixed.

So proud of my baby.

So pleased that for now, at least, he has accepted his new bed, his new room, his new routine.

Sad, in a ‘good’ way – if that makes sense. Of course I want him to be independent, to be happy in his new bedroom, but it also signals another step away from being my baby.

And he is my last baby.

My fourth baby though – how lucky am I?

Night night Ickle Pickle, although you now share a room with Luke, and if you wake, we have talked about how you can scramble into bed with him, you are always welcome in my bed.

If you sleep through the night in your bed – great.

If you wake and hop into Lukes bed with him – great.

If you wake and come padding into my room, climbing into my bed – great.

I will take your lead, you will do what you need to do x x x

1. Mummy Fever

What a wonderful milestone! #MagicMoments

1. Ickle Pickles Mummy (Post author)

Yes it is – emotional for me! x

2. Jen aka Muminthemadhouse

I totally agree with you on being older and feeling you can parent more how you want to and don’t care about being judged. I love the picture

1. Ickle Pickles Mummy (Post author)

Thank you – yes a perk of being an older mum!

3. Phoebe @ Lou Messugo

I also agree about being older and doing what you want. We’ve had some pretty flexible bedtime arrangements over the years in my house and it doesn’t seem to have done anyone any harm. I also get the fixed feelings. Your baby is growing up, it’s good and yet….

4. Liz Burton

Aww what a big milestone! Hope he settles in to his new room.

Great to read about your confidence to do what’s right for you all and stuff what anyone thinks!

5. Hannah Staveley

Awww how fab, so want to do this for my Alfie but we need a bigger house as ours only had two rooms .x

6. Mums do travel

I agree, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks about things like bedtimes and where they sleep. You just have to do what feels right for you and your child.

7. Charly Dove

What a huge milestone! It must seem really weird although only because it’s his first time. You’ll all settle into the swing wonderfully. It is nice being older and not feeling the need to be told what’s right :)

8. Laura

Its such a big milestone, really marks the moment they start to grow up xx

9. lisa prince

best of luck with this one im still trying with my little one lol

10. Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk)

Congrats! What an amazing milestone! We will do this when my son started his school vacation (we co-sleep)! I am so excited to try this too! #magicmoments

11. jaime Oliver

aww big hugs to you its such a big change isn’t it! .. thank you for linking up and sharing with #MagicMoments

12. Nayna Kanabar

Its so good that you passed this milestone.

13. jaime Oliver

what a lovely milestone .. it looks like a really lovely bed too!
    Thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments

14. Mummys little blog

aww I hope it went well it can be rather scary moving to a big bed!

15. Kara

We have just moved Sebby into a bed – such a bittersweet moment isn’t it

16. Emma | TheMiniMesAndMe

It’s always a mix of emotions when your little ones reach milestones. Proud of achievements but sad that they grow up so quickly x

17. Ups & Downs, Smiles & Frowns.

Awwww huge milestone! :D